Upcoming final exam
when and where The final exam is coming up on Friday May 8 (9:50am to 11:50). You will have the whole two hour period to take the exam (but you should not need the whole period).
what The exam will cover all material covered in lectures and lab.
- All material in Chapters 1-6 of the Gotelli book
- Exponential pop growth (Gotelli Ch. 1, lecture, lab)
- Density-dependent pop growth (Gotelli Ch. 2, lecture, lecture, lecture, lab)
- Age-structured pop growth and matrix population models (Gotelli Ch. 3; lecture, lecture, lab, lab additional suggested reading: Heppell et al. 1998)
- Metapopulations (Gotelli Ch. 4, lecture, lab; additional suggested reading: Griffin et al. 2008)
- Competition (Gotelli Ch. 5, lecture)
- Predation (Gotelli Ch. 6, lecture)
- Systems thinking and modeling (lecture, Ch. 1, 2 of “Beyond Connecting the Dots”)
- Basic computer programming (e.g., if-then-else statements)
- Stochasticity and Uncertainty (lecture, lab, suggested readings: Lande 1992; Regan 2002.
- Small-population paradigm and declining-population paradigm (lecture, lecture, suggested reading: Caughley 1988)
- Population Viability Analysis, in theory and practice (lecture, suggested reading Beissinger and Westphal 1998, optional lecture)
- Parameter estimation for PVA, including basic capture-recapture methods (lecture, suggested reading: Amstrup et al)
NOTE: we skipped over the lecture on individual-based models- this topic will (of course) not be included on the final exam
The exam will consist of a mixture of multiple-choice and short-answer questions (including a few definitions).
- This Friday, May 8 from 9:50-11:50 (via zoom/tophat)
- Everyone should have received detailed feedback over the weekend - please let us know if you have any questions.
- Final papers due May 13 at 5pm (webcampus submission)
PLEASE fill out your course evaluations!
[–this is the final lecture–]